This week we are excited to talk to someone that has special meaning to Alex (me). If you recall, I started my fitness and weight loss journey with a major change in my diet and the addition of running just over five years ago. Today our guest was one of those people that were so instrumental to my journey – being someone that was willing to give support, an encouraging word, and help answer my questions from the very start. And I wanted to thank him on our show and hear more about his own running journey.
There is so much in our running that teaches us and instructs us in life. I share how my past week reminded me so much of a bad training run. I pushed through, grew through the struggle, and am wiser because of it. If you’ve had a bad training run (who hasn’t) you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.
We continue our new interview format with “On The Run With…” where we sit back and take some time with each person we talk to, as if we were just out for a fun run with them. These episodes are a little longer depending on how much time our guest is willing to share with us. Some podcasts only feature what the rest of the world calls “experts”. Our podcast, will at times feature those same individuals, but we want to feature an “expert” in a different light. Each runner we encounter is an expert in their own light.
Here are just a few of the great things you’ll get out of Chris’ interview!
- Chris shares his own start to his running and the person that inspired him to start running. Here’s what’s cool – many of us have that same type of person in our life. My question to you is how can you be that person for someone else?
- Chris shares about all the types of races he has run – from marathons, to triathlons (can you say Ironman?!), and 50Ks.
- We hear about what we all experience – when you start running you won’t have it all figured out. We talk about all the different resources we have as runners. And don’t forget having one another in person as well!
- Chris has done a lot helping new runners at his workplace. He shares some of the programs.
- You won’t want to miss out on his Facebook group Run 2B Strong. He shares that part of his motivation in starting this group is building a strong mind as running requires mental toughness. Come find out how to be a more mentally (and physically) stronger runner.
- Alex shares the David Goggins book, Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds, where he shares how he mentally ran a 100-mile race on only three miles of training in six months (not recommended) as he prepared for a charitable race. We shared this book not to encourage you to do the same but to show how the mind really can limit what we are capable of (again, mental toughness).
- Chris shares about a 50-mile race that he attempted and DNFed (Did Not Finish). He shares many of his lessons learned. Hint: time on your feet is important for training.
- Chris shares how he became a pacer and why he did so.
- Chris shares a very special situation where he gets to run with his daughter. She is autistic and non-verbal. What’s great is she loves the thrill of moving and especially when she gets to run with daddy. Chris recently purchased a special-needs stroller and has been able to enjoy a number of races with her (their first Mount Nebo half marathon – pictured). You will really want to hear about how that race went! Don’t miss Chris’ Facebook group Running With Lily where he shares pictures of their latest races and more!
- And much, much more!
Next, we are so excited for our new website – motivatemetorun.com! This site will allow us to post additional information that we want to share (like our Run With Us page where we share our future races hoping we can meet you there) and give us a bit better place to reach out to you. We would love to have you come over and click on Don’t Miss an Episode (or just click here) where you can start being notified each time we drop and episode and additionally get that extra information from us (like race coupon codes and more!) to give you that extra bit of motivation.
Finally, we check in with Chris on our final three questions that we ask each of our guests on our show:
- What has been your favorite race?
- What is your favorite running tip?
- What and when is your next race?
We really encourage you to check out our sponsor, Audible. Even though January isn’t yet over, I’m listening to my fourth audiobook (love them on my runs and my commute) and my third running audiobook at that! Find out how you can get one book for free (with two Amazon Originals) just by signing up for their free trial. Plus, if you sign up now, you still have enough time to complete their Audible Challenge 2020 (or new members and current subscribers alike) where just for listening to three books of three hours or longer you can receive a $20 Amazon gift card. I just received notice that I have earned mine! 😆
Thank you again for joining us “on the run” and loving every moment of this episode! Thank you so much to Chris for taking his own time to share with us as well! If you are interested in coming on our show, please write us at email@example.com or come to our Contact Us page and let us know!
Come check us out on Twitter (@motivatemetorun), come join us in our Motivate Me To Run group on Facebook, get updates at our Motivate Me To Run page on Facebook, and even our show notes at motivatemetorun.com. If you have any questions you would like me to cover then email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally – if you have appreciated this or any of our episodes, we would love to have you stop by iTunes and leave your all-favorable review! This will give us even more access to big name guests, sponsors with amazing giveaways, and more! Leaving a review will get us that much closer towards those goals! I’ll thank you in advance!
Thank you for listening and look forward to catching up with you next time!
Coach Alex (RRCA certified running coach) and Audrey
P.S. Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links with the hope that by using them you might support this podcast. Thank you in advance!
No responses yet